What lessons does the U.S. continue to teach in regards to nuclear and WMD proliferation?
- Remain non-nuclear, can be coerced by nuclear powers and remain dependent on nuclear allies or mutual defense treaties.
- If you decide to go nuclear/WMD
- Do it secretly (Israel)
- Do it rapidly (Iraq) or get attacked
- Test publicly (India, Pakistan, N. Korea)
- Agree to use for energy with oversight, but get stabbed in the back (Iran)
- Give up WMDs, still get accused of having used them (Syria)
- Waste efforts on fruitless fusion experiments
- Once you succeed, no one violates your sovereignty
- Demonstrate delivery and strike capabilities to remind other powers